Sunday, May 10, 2009

Man and his house

"Home sweet home"

I've figured out the sweet part, just need to take care of the edges. Of all the things that I'm good at or thought I was, house search stands out by far as the odd treacherous milestone that manages to foil all my attempts at conquering it.

For the past couple of weeks, even the most sensuous and amazing creatures of the opposite sex being available would pose no competition to a mention of an available flat. My dictionary for acronyms has undergone a coup with all the PGs and BHKs of the world swapping all possible short forms out.

Never before have I met with so many rejections, not even at the hands of all the beauties in my life. And for very different reasons, the foremost being a concern about my bachelorhood. Not that I'm too proud of it, but the (land)lords gave no heed to my single tag on Orkut either.

Second that I'm in city for not that long and would be out before a blink of the eye. Now, most PYTs would need no more persuasions beyond this point, but the lords are a spoiled lot.

Not that I hadn't been held at fault for other things, that I'm being looked at as being an understudy to Osama. That my B.E from a reputed (remember, I'm trying to built an arguement) college is just a farce ( was amazed at their ability to read my mind) and that all the time spent on earth even without a police warning was not enough. Leave aside the more easily corrupted concepts of identification like Election ID or driving license or the passport, which I personally would have in no comparison to my DTC bus pass and ID, for it involved more scrutinies by the able staff of the public transport infrastructure in Delhi that would break down even the most seasoned criminals.

To add to my woes, now I'm supposed to follow rules which are stricter than that for a teenage girl . Not that there is much to tell, but there isn't much pride left when every second guy in Mumbai knows that I'm not allowed to be out after 10 at night or that I can't bring "friends" to my room. And all these questions are posed without fail and with no subjectivity to the potential tenant. ( Imagine a call center guy being given a 10 PM curfew or a straight guy being asked not to have male friends over)

All this while I'm emptying my pockets ( both of them mind you) for places smaller than my store room back home.

I just hope that after having seeing so many places ( some shown to me twice or more, by different agents of course), that I can find a place for myself in this million people strong city

The only upside to this all is that now all other problems in life seem simpler and none, for the time being at least, evokes my attention with the similar magnitude (not even my overwhelming revenue targets).

Or perhaps there is a sliver lining after all, this provides me with an escape route of an alternative career, after I get fired for not achieving my targets of course, of the real estate Pundit arranging marriages between the man and his house.

1 comment:

  1. Nice!! Mumbai -ac with its brilliance has this one tor to drive people away or bring them closer (literally)... Loved the title specifically! Intriguing :)

    ReplyDelete